How to Make Kentucky Fried Chicken at Home

You can make KFC at home - Thanks to Todd Wilbur 

Recently I found a cookbook that I got as a gift several years ago.  I never really looked at it until my son got a different title by the same author.  My cookbook is called The Best of Top Secret Recipes from the Files of Todd Wilbur.  



After looking through it again there were quite a few recipes that I wanted to try.  Since I just got a deep fryer (Hamilton Beach – more about that later) I wanted to try something in it that would be good and interesting.  I had a whole chicken thawed in the bottom of the fridge (that I cut apart myself, saving some cash and then cooked the back with some veggies and seasons to make some killer stock) so I thought why not fried chicken?  At first I went to my trusty computer and started to search for fried chicken recipes but all that I came across called for buttermilk of which I had none.  Then it hit me – I have a secret recipes cookbook and I think there is a recipe for KFC chicken in it!!!  So I grabbed the cookbook and sure enough there it was, and easy too!
The only time consuming part was having to brine the chicken before I cooked it, which gave me time to figure out the new deep fryer.  The Hamilton Beach 3 liter deep fryer that I ordered from Walmart (using my ebates account and got $1 back thank you very much!) has a digital timer and a temperature dial.  


But the best part about it is the whole thing comes apart to clean!  The fryer was about $50 but so far it seems like it was worth the money.  It does take a lot of oil and there really isn’t any way to store the oil unless you strain it and store it in plastic yourself, not like a Fry Daddy that has a lid.  But unlike a Fry Daddy there is a basket and not just a separate utensil to scoop out the food.
Now back to the chicken…. According to the recipe you do a double dip which builds up the coating and the flour is seasoned with what I’m guessing is Todd’s “clone” of the Colonel’s 11 herbs and spices from back in the day. 


The chicken came out juicy and crispy.  My son said its the best chicken he ever ate anywhere at any time!  Believe me that's quite a compliment.   I’m not going to give you the exact recipe but will tell you that its on page 53 of the cookbook.
And if this has whetted your appetite for more recipe clones check out Todd’s website at  www.topsecretrecipes.com  and don’t forget to check out the latest video – a 2 year old making cheesecake --too cute!
Super Bowl Sunday is coming soon so I’m planning on frying up a storm – wings, chips, pickles and yeah maybe some oreos  (you can get the oreo recipe on Todd’s webite too) or maybe snickers or cheese sticks or……

Comments